2.08.2010

Flat Bread w/Mayopeno Shrimp!

Can't find good whole grain bread in your super market? This is a source of frustration for many of us, in particular those of us who live in more rural areas. It may be hard to believe, but I too have this issue. Not exactly conducive to the life of a Sandwich Guru. So I have taken to makin my own. Here's a Naan recipe I perfected over the weekend. It may not LOOK as beautiful as it could, but bite for bite, it tasted just right when paired with my famous Mayopeno Shrimp Salad (use the search box and get the recipe). We're using open faced sandwich recipes these days to try to lose a little of what we gained over the busy holiday season. Either way you slice it, every day's a picnic around here.
Ingrédients
1 (.25 oz) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup white sugar (we used only half this amount)
3 tbls milk
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp salt
4.5 cups whole grain wheat flour
2 tsp minced garlic (optional)
1/4 cup butter, melted (optional)
Préparation
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.
2. Punch down dough, and knead in garlic. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.3. During the second rising, preheat grill on high heat.
4. At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned. Brush uncooked side with butter (optional), and turn over and cook until brown on both sides. Remove from grill and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared. Voilà

9 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! We love naan, especially garlic naan, so I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are my hero! I can't believe you made Naan bread. So brave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome. I really need to make the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Lord. I can barely make muffins from a mix. You and the bread gods are clearly BFF.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 175 ... whatever! LOL :) I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!
    I am throughly and wonderfully IMPRESSED!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I have been looking for a flat bread recidpe! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it, and cannot believe I had not thought of mayopeno, like a fine wine, but messier :)

    Why the heck do you post this when my tummy is not feeling so well and I have no ingredients for this? Bad bad bad Sammie *tears rolling down face*

    ReplyDelete
  9. A flatbread sandwich topped with shrimp is my kind of brunch. I remember having an open faced sandwich topped with dill, shrimp & a type of sauce at Ikea, delish.

    ReplyDelete

My Word Verification is set to "NO" for your convenience. Please join me and turn yours off too, use Comment Moderation instead.