7.25.2010

PESTO FRESH CAPRESE SANDWICH

Ti's the season for a Caprese Sandwich (or salad), why? Because fresh is the operative word here. To make a good one, you need the freshest basil, tomatoes, mozzarella, bread, and olive oil. This sandwich explodes with flavors that will dance in your mouth. Then you'll want another one. Notice the pesto peeking through the top layer as it marries with the cheese, which fuses with the tomato, which sits on the bread, which absorbs the virgin oil, which softens the bread, which holds the whole thing together? A rhapsody!Ingredients
2 slices bread (or a bun)
1 fresh ripe tomato (sliced)
1 ball fresh mozzarella (sliced)
1 handful fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon basil pesto (optional see recipe below)
1 splash balsamic vinegar (optional)
Directions
1. Assemble sandwich as seen in these photos
2. Grill if desired
Basil Pest Ingredients
1 cup fresh basil (packed)
1/4 cup spinach (optional, helps keep the pesto nice and green)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
2 tablespoons pine nuts (toasted)
1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano (grated)
3 tablespoons olive oil
lemon juice to taste (optional)
salt to taste
Directions
Place everything into a food processor and blend.
DO THIS!

16 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering on this one we have not made a pesto yet. I know what are waiting for. We do like the cilantro lime mayo we make on a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love,love, love this sandwich...wish I was eating it now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS IS MY FAVORITE.

    I was in the middle of eating this sandwich in an airport when a guy tried to hit on me.

    I do not like to be interrupted when I eat, especially when it involves fresh mozzarella and fresh-baked ciabatta bread!

    Damn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sandwich looks absolutely divine! Love the pesto, too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like an absolutely delicious sandwich. Fresh bread and good mozzarella are really hard to resist. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, Keri, you had me drooling over this burger. yummm..... Great to see you back on track again. Miss you!
    Hope you have a great weekend.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great!
    Are you entering this contest? I bet you would win.
    http://www.makethatsandwich.com/web/

    Best of luck on the CSN Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, my mouth watered. makes me wanna go out and get some tomato and mozzarella to make a sammie. i got a basil plant at home that i need to put to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delish! Thanks for following, I am your newest follower.
    Bonnie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I eat my weight in Mozzarella this time of year just for all the ways you can do caprese - THIS looks fantastic. Thanks for finding me and leading me to your blog...looking forward to reading more! - GP

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the first I'm "following" your blog, as you are one of the few who follow mine ! I LOVE your posts ! The sandwich recipes are amazing, esp the photos!
    I think you should post some questions about the sandwiches eaten by Mikael Blomvkist and Lisbeth Salander in the Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo -- there are MANY !!!
    Keep posting !!!

    blessings,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sandwich is truly the essence of summer, so simple and perfect for those hot nights when you're feeling too lazy to cook anything else.

    And the bread looks awesome, I just want to bite into it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my FAVORITE combos ever! Great picture, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Simple and fresh. Can't beat it. Looks like a treat with a glass of chardonnay or a light red.

    ReplyDelete

My Word Verification is set to "NO" for your convenience. Please join me and turn yours off too, use Comment Moderation instead.