9.25.2009

PBJ Truffles!

This is GENIUS! Once in a while I'll receive a sandwich recipe that isn't technically a sandwich, like a taco or a lettuce wrap trying to pass as a sandwich. Here's an idea that has completely turned the scenario around. A lunch box item that actually started out as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and then was turned into, of all things, a truffle.

AP Food Editor, J.M. HIRSCH writes all about how it came to be. Click here to read his/her article.... here's an excerpt: "All I did was make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on whole-wheat bread, then run them through the food processor until they formed a thick dough. I then rolled tablespoon-sized chunks of it into balls and coated some with crushed peanuts, others with powdered sugar. Coated or uncoated, these truffles can be refrigerated for several days, pack easily in lunch boxes and improve with age. My son actually thought I'd given him a doughnut."
Here's the recipe in a nutshell (no pun intended), but if you want more detail and alternate topping suggestions go hit the link.

PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY TRUFFLES
Start to finish: 15 minutes
Makes 24 truffles
6 slices whole-wheat bread
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
10-ounce bottle (1 1/4 cups) no-sugar jam
Crushed nuts, finely diced dried fruit or powdered sugar, for coating (optional)
In a food processor, combine the bread, peanut butter and jam. Process until the ingredients form a thick, dark brown dough with an even consistency. There should be no streaks of peanut butter or jam.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this recipe! Dare I say....the fact that Jake won't eat any type of sandwich (he's only 2), I bet he'll eat these! I'm trying them this weekend! Thanks Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! I love PB&J and this I will definitely have to try!
    Sounds soooooooooooo yummy! Thank you for sharing :)
    Julian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaa! Quel dama'ge! I tried to put le button on my blog and Le Link she is brrro-ken!Help e vous, si vou plaise??

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow you have a lot of blogs. i didnt know where to start. good recipe. happy sits sharefest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Keri...
    Thanks for visiting my blog...
    WOw its my pleasure.. if you can feature my paneer sandwitch in your blog...

    You have a lovely space... will be visiting often.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh....where have you been all my life! I'm going to have to give these a whirl with my girls this weekend! I may just pass out now, they look amazing! Found you on SITS. So glad I did!

    ReplyDelete

My Word Verification is set to "NO" for your convenience. Please join me and turn yours off too, use Comment Moderation instead.