3.07.2011

THE CUBANA - HEALTHIFIED!

Don't let the blurry photos fool you, this was so delightful, and almost guilt free since several steps were taken to reduce the number of overall calories. The end result was something to write home about.Cubans (sandwiches) can be fraught with calories (approximately 700) but difficult to stay away from because the combination of flavors is so incredible. When eaten in a restaurant setting there's no way to control the use of high calorie ingredients like cheese, butter and doughy white bread. Not this one!
We replaced a higher calorie bread with:

*Whole wheat ciabatta rolls and used
*Smart Balance butter spread- two Tbls
*Garlic powder - 2 shakes
*Thinly sliced Virginia ham -2 slices
*Left over pork roast - 1 slice
*Reduced fat baby Swiss cheese - 2 slices
*Dill pickle - 1
*Pam cooking spray
*Panini grill

Mix a shake or two of garlic powder with Smart Balance or your choice of butter substitute. Spread on both insides of the ciabatta roll. Build the sandwich using thinly sliced pork, ham, cheese and pickle. Spray the outside of the bread with cooking spray and place on a panini grill until the cheese is melted and serve. Cha Cha Cha!!

15 comments:

  1. It must be karma! We just had something called Monte Cubano for dinner that I'll be posting about. It's from an old Gourmet. I admit that I've never heard of the sandwich before and now here it is again! Yours is definitely healthier than the version I just ate. It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds incredible! I would love to add in some horseradish pickled & preserved beetroot. Yummm.... Hope you're having a nice day.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!
    cubanos are so so so so good.
    Im horrible in that when i order cubans, i ask for extra mayo :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. SIGH......
    I just finished eating my plain old turkey breast on whole wheat bread with mustard nad thought it was great. Then I come over here to read one of my fave blogs and realized
    WOW...I could have had a cuban...."
    Thanks for sharing.
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Land! That looks INCREDIBLE!!
    Since they're lower cal--I'll take two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good! I have fond memories of Cuban sandwiches from when I lived in Tampa, FL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks yummy, thanks for sharing the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Cuban looks fab! And love the low-cal version. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that looks so delicious! I seem to be finding more and more blogs focused on food -- darn. LOL!!! I just saw that you are a new follower of my blog & now I'm following you back, even though it could be very detrimental to my waist & hips!
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to tell you after just reading your other site, Fergie.... and cracking up, I realized I forgot to tell you I made a pancake and corn beef sammie...sounds yuck, but it was really great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel like a spy going back and forth, maybe the pancake sammie is code for your turn LOL

    Did not take a pic, but I will make another...did kind of feel like the corned beef out of a can was a bit ewwww dog foodish, but hey a childhood thing!

    Yes, I know about sneezing and curtsy, my girlfriends from Texas were talking about it recently and laughing, because it really happens big time when you have a cold and cough!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Keri, sorry for the late reply. I was away for 2 days. I am most appreciate it and honoured to be invited. Help yourself with the English Muffins! :o) Let me know if you need anything. Hope you're having a fabulous weekend.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Your Cuban sandwich sounds great, being a lighter version. I make them every now and then and must try this. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

My Word Verification is set to "NO" for your convenience. Please join me and turn yours off too, use Comment Moderation instead.